Off-grid water is a method of obtaining fresh water and disposing of trash that is not reliant on the electrical grid or a municipal water infrastructure. Off-grid arrangements, like all water systems, require a stable water source and a place for dirty water to go. A well, a local body of water, or collected rainfall are the three water sources used by off-grid systems.
- The weight of a gallon of water is approximately 8.33 pounds.
- One gallon of water requires 833 foot-pounds (or 0.0003 kilowatt-hours) of energy to lift 100 feet.
- At 39 degrees Fahrenheit, water is the densest, and as it cools, it becomes less dense. It’s one of the rare chemicals in which the solid form floats on top of the liquid. Lakes would freeze from the bottom up if it weren’t for this uncommon feature, eliminating all aquatic life. The ice also protects the liquid water beneath it from the cold air, slowing the freezing process.
- A one-foot-high column of water produces a force of 0.433 pounds per square inch beneath it.
- A pressure of one pound per square inch will lift a water column 2.31 feet.
- The vertical distance (and thus pressure) required to lift water from your well to your cistern is known as the head.
- Total Dynamic Head equals head, plus the additional pressure required to overcome friction caused by all vertical and horizontal pipelines, valves, and filters.
How can you create your own source of water?
Did you know that the average human consumes between 80 and 100 gallons of water every day? That’s a lot of liquid! That’s why, in my post about things to look for when buying a homestead, one of the most important things to look for is water.
What can you do if you have an area of land that is completely devoid of water? Or what if an emergency occurs that destroys your water supply?
In such cases, I’d want to discuss with you how you might resolve the water problem on your farm.
I should warn you that some of these solutions are pricey. However, if you find the ideal piece of property, the price may be worth it to you. Furthermore, if it aids in the rescue of your family or cattle during an emergency, the investment would be justified.
Here are a few possibilities for you: