To summarize, you do not require a cable subscription to utilize the Amazon Fire TV Stick on your television. However, in order to connect your Fire Stick to a Wi-Fi network, you must have internet connection. Also, keep in mind that Amazon’s device will not be able to provide access to local channels, such as news coverage in your area.
Do you have a Fire Stick and don’t have access to a cable provider? Do you see any drawbacks to such a setup? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the section below.
Without cable, how do you watch live TV on your Firestick?
There’s never been a better time to get rid of your cable subscription. There are a plethora of streaming platforms and gadgets available for cable TV subscribers who wish to leave their restrictive and costly cable subscriptions. But how can you cut the cord without losing access to live TV and local news? It’s not a problem at all with an Amazon FireStick.
Because of its superb interface, speed, and flexibility, the Amazon FireStick is one of the most highly regarded streaming gadgets on the market today. It supports a wide selection of official streaming apps as well as a large number of third-party sideloaded apps.
The Amazon FireStick, on the other hand, isn’t simply for watching movies and TV shows on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video. Live TV stations from all over the world, including your local networks, may be streamed on your Fire TV device. That means you can watch local TV stations like news and sports on your FireStick even if you don’t have cable or an antenna.
There are several solutions and services available if you wish to watch local TV programs on your FireStick or Amazon Fire TV device. You can use a digital antenna, subscribe to a skinny bundle, use standalone network apps, or use the Amazon News app if you live in a major US city.
What are the requirements for a Firestick to function?
Check that you have everything you’ll need before setting up your Amazon Fire TV Stick, including:
- A compatible TV is one that includes HD or UHD resolution as well as an HDMI port (most TV screens today will have this)
- An Amazon account is required. To utilize the Amazon Fire TV Stick, you don’t need to be an Amazon Prime member, but you do need an Amazon account. Don’t worry if you don’t have one; you can make one during setup.
Attach to your TV’s HDMI port
Connect the Fire TV Stick to the HDMI connection on the back of your TV, or use an HDMI extender if you don’t want it to be directly connected to the screen.
Select your channel
Change the channel on your TV to the same one where the TV Stick is connected in (i.e. HDMI1, HDMI3). The “Fire TV Stick” logo should appear on a loading screen.
Add a remote
Replace the batteries in your remote control. It should automatically couple with your stick once you’ve done this. If your remote won’t pair, press and hold the Home Button for up to 10 seconds to put it in “discovery mode,” which will allow you to finish the pairing procedure.
Is it possible to operate a Firestick without an internet connection or cable?
All of Prime’s content and programs are accessible through your Fire TV Stick. You may access thousands of hours of entertainment for a nominal monthly subscription price. All you’ll need is a TV with an open HDMI connector and the accompanying remote’s batteries. Is Wi-Fi, on the other hand, required to operate the Fire TV Stick?
A Wi-Fi network is required to utilize an Amazon Fire TV Stick. To stream content to your television, you’ll need a network with a Fire TV Stick. With that said, there are certain things you can do if you don’t have high-speed internet and already own a Fire TV Stick.
Simply put, without Wi-Fi or high-speed internet, your Amazon Fire TV stick isn’t absolutely useless. In truth, it can still be utilized for a few things, such as running some of the pre-installed programs. Many of the apps don’t require an internet connection to work, yet you can still use them to watch video.
What channels are available with the Fire Stick?
1. NFL (free, in-app purchases): The NFL FireStick channel offers it everything, whether you want to watch highlights or the newest headlines. This official NFL app is a delight for NFL fans, with tons of fascinating content. Throughout the season, it also keeps you up to date on the scores and significant events. The app is free to download, however some types of films require in-app purchases.
2. Fox Sports (free with in-app purchases): For sports fans in the United States, Fox Sports is a must-have. It has a ton of unique videos that you won’t find anywhere else. Fox Sports channels for Fire TV Stick feature all sports, including boxing, the NFL, MLB, soccer, NASCAR, basketball, and the NCAA. There are also numerous streams dedicated to golf and football. BTN is now a part of this channel as well.
3. ESPN (free with in-app purchases): No sports list would be complete without ESPN. ESPN, ESPN +, ESPN 2, ESPN 3, ESPNews, ESPNU, SEC Network & SEC Network +, ESPN Deportes, and a whole lot more are all available on this FireStick channel. This app allows you to watch studio shows and a variety of live sports. It also has game replays, sports shows, and other programming. ESPN is a channel that you may download for free and pay for with in-app purchases.
6. CBS Sports Stream & Watch Live (Free): Also known as CGS Sports HQ, this FireStick channel offers live sports streaming around the clock. The software is 100% free, and there are no in-app purchases or TV subscriptions required. Highlights, recaps, game previews, and much more are available to view. You will also have access to professional analysis as well as betting tips. The NFL, MLB, NCAA, WNBA, College Football, PGA Golf, NHL, and other major sports are all covered by the channel.
7. Fox Sports GO (Free): Fox Sports Go is one of the best sports channels for FireStick to have if you want to watch your favorite regional sports on your TV. You may follow your favorite regional teams, watch live sports, and watch exclusive programs with this app.
8. Fubo TV (Paid): This FireStick channel brings together a variety of sports channels for quick viewing. More than 100 sports channels are available on Fubo TV, with more than 30 of them covering live events. It includes NBC, FOX, CBS Sports Network, CBS, NFL Network, regional sports networks, NBCSN, NBA TV, FS1, and much more. In addition, you may watch live news and movies and TV series on demand.
9. MLB At Bat (Free): You may just call it MLB.
All things MLB can be found on television. If you’re a baseball fan who also wants to cut the cord, this FireStick channel is ideal for you. This software allows you to watch live baseball games and events as they happen. It works on both your Fire TV and your Kindle device.
It is the official NBA FireStick channel for FireStick, Fire TV devices, and Amazon Kindle. 10. NBA for Fire TV (Paid): It is the official NBA FireStick channel for FireStick, Fire TV devices, and Amazon Kindle. With this app, you can now follow your favorite games and teams on your FireStick. During the regular season, it gives you complete access to live NBA games. To use this app, you must have an NBA League Pass membership.
11. NHL (free with in-app purchases): If you’re a fan of the National Hockey League, you’ll love this official NHL app for FireStick. This FireStick sports channel allows you to watch your favorite events live. Highlights and loads more extras are also available.
12. UFC (Paid): The UFC is fantastic news for MMA fans. You gain access to the UFC Fight Library, UFC Fight Nights, highlights, PPV replays, TV Shows, and several originals with the UFC Fight Pass. It also allows you to watch all UFC pay-per-view events. You can also use the app to keep up with the TV schedule and the newest news. On the FireStick, here’s how to watch UFC.
13. Bleacher Report Live (Free, in-app purchases): This FireStick sports channel features NBA League Pass, UEFA Champions League, Europa League, The Dan Patrick Show, All Elite Wrestling, and more.
14. DAZN (Paid): this paid sports streaming service for FireStick is accessible in the United States and eight other countries (including Japan, Canada, Italy, Brazil). This app, according to Wikipedia, provides about 250 million hours of streaming every year. It includes information on over 70 major sports leagues, sporting events, and a number of minor contests. UEFA Europa League, UEFA Champions League, NHL, NFL, Major League Soccer, FIBA Basketball World Cup, Premier League, and more are among the sports covered. Here’s how to get DAZN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
15. Tennis Channel (Free & Paid): This FireStick sports channel is a must-try for tennis fans. It features a large number of live tennis matches as well as on-demand movies, replays, and highlights. However, not everything is free here. You may either login in using your cable TV subscription or purchase the Tennis Plus subscription if you want to fully utilize the app.
Is it worthwhile to invest in a Fire Stick?
If you’re searching for a capable and economical streaming alternative, the Amazon Fire TV Stick (2020) is still a good choice in 2021. Even though it lacks the 4K functionality of its newer siblings, this HD streamer has a decent interface and some significant enhancements over its previous 2019 model.
Is it better to use a Roku or a Fire Stick?
Roku and the Amazon Fire TV Stick, often known as Firestick, are two of the most popular streaming gadgets on the market today, especially among cord-cutters. Whether you’re a Netflix addict or a die-hard anime fan, both platforms have a plethora of streaming services and content. However, when it comes to usability and functions, there are some distinctions between Roku and Firestick.
- Overall, Roku is a better alternative because it has more functionality and device possibilities, as well as more channels/apps, including free content. It only works with Google and Alexa, though.
- For Amazon Prime subscribers and those with Amazon Smart devices, the Firestick is a superior option.
- We propose the Firestick 4K”>Firestick 4K as the finest Fire TV Stick alternative.
We pitted the two streaming devices against each other to help you determine which is ideal for you (but you can also read our guides on what a Firestick is and how to use Roku).