Do Utility Companies Need Death Certificates?

Determine who set up the account. Usually, this is the person who has passed away. You’ll need to provide their full name, cell phone number, death date, and Social Security number. Some businesses may be very adamant about the whole thing. In this case, a death certificate may be required.

Who requires original death certificates in the United Kingdom?

After you’ve obtained the death certificate, you’ll be able to plan the funeral or arrange for the cremation. The registration of the death is free, but death certificates are not. For each insurance, bank, or pension business with which you’re dealing, you’ll normally require one certified document (not a photocopy). You may also need to give copies to the executor or administrator in charge of the deceased person’s property. The executor of the Will and the registrar should be able to assist you in determining the number of copies required.

When someone passes away, how do you handle a bill?

In most cases, the estate of the deceased person is responsible for settling any outstanding obligations. The assets of a person pass to their estate after they die. The debt will usually not be paid if there is no money or property remaining. In most cases, no one else is responsible for a deceased person’s debts.

When someone dies, how do you close a credit card?

If the account was solely owned by the dead family member, contact the issuer as soon as possible to get the account closed. After the original cardholder passes away, all credit card accounts should be cancelled promptly. To prevent interest and finance charges, act quickly.

Identity thieves scour obituaries and online records for information on recent deaths in order to steal from or create new accounts. When a payment is missed, banks may issue late notices and charge additional fees.

Request the department for deceased accounts by calling the credit card issuer or looking it up on the issuer’s website. Request that the account be closed, as well as the address to which you should provide documentation.

“Ask the credit card issuer if the card has any recurring charges, and request that they be terminated,” Lesavich advises. If the account has been charged with interest or financing charges, request that they be waived due to the death.

How do you empty a house after someone passes away?

Getting a tour of the house or flat will help you process and de-escalate your feelings. Allow yourself plenty of time to do this task. “There is no precise deadline on this entire process,” says Wayforth Founder Matt Paxton. Grief does not begin or stop at any certain time. Period. There isn’t a right or wrong way to do things.”

When a loved one passes away, it’s vital to remember how attached they were to their home and possessions. As you stroll through each room, take pictures and make a note of anything significant or sentimental.

Create a Plan of Action and a Time Limit

Is there a deadline for listing your home for sale? Perhaps you’ve come from out of state to assist your family. If you’re working on a tight deadline, it’s time to make a strategy. To create a realistic goal for yourself, consider the time you have available outside of work and other responsibilities. If you can, try to account for breaks. It’s fairly typical to come upon a few unexpected objects with which you’ll want to spend some time.

Remember that before anything is cleaned out, donated, or sold, the will must be processed by the court system in most jurisdictions.

Start Sorting Through Items and Clearing Out Rooms

It’s time to start the actual estate cleansing process once you have a good understanding of what’s in each area.

Make a commitment to open every box, empty every pocket, and search every cabinet. Many sentimental artifacts, especially valuable ones, are kept in a secure location. Take a break if you start to feel overwhelmed and come back to it later. You don’t want to overlook something crucial and come to regret it later.

To preserve images, place them in a clearly labeled storage bin or box as you locate them. These are items that cannot be replaced.

Deaths in hospital

The majority of deaths now occur in a hospital or nursing home. Staff will contact you if your relative dies in the hospital, lay out the body, and arrange for it to be transferred to the hospital morgue. After that, you’ll be asked to arrange for the body to be picked up by funeral directors, who will usually transport it to their resting place. You will also be asked to collect the person’s personal belongings at the same time.

A doctor must produce a medical certificate stating the cause of death before a death may be properly documented. This is normally done in the hospital by a hospital doctor, who will give you the certificate in a sealed envelope addressed to the Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. You’ll also get a note with instructions on how to register the death. There is no cost for either of these services. A GP may be able to issue a certificate if the person has not been seen by a hospital doctor.

A hospital may request your consent to do a post-mortem examination in order to learn more about the cause of death. You are not obligated to accept this.

A doctor may not be able to produce a medical certificate of the cause of death in several instances. There could be several explanations for this. The death will be referred to the coroner if the doctor is unable to produce a medical certificate. A post-mortem examination may be ordered by the coroner. You do not have the right to protest to a coroner’s order for a post-mortem, but you should inform the coroner if you have significant religious or other concerns.

On the GOV.UK website,, you may learn more about when a death is reported to a coroner.

A second doctor will be required to sign a certificate stating that the body has been inspected if the body is to be cremated. There will be a fee associated with this.

Deaths at home

When someone passes away at home, their primary care physician should be contacted as quickly as feasible. The doctor will usually pay a visit to the house and, if the death was expected, will be able to issue a death certificate with the cause of death.

Call 111 (the NHS non-emergency number) instead if you don’t know the name of the GP, the person didn’t have a GP, or the death occurs outside of typical GP practice working hours.

If a doctor is unsure about the cause of death, he or she cannot issue a certificate. When this occurs, the death must be reported to a coroner, and the body must be sent to a hospital mortuary, where a post mortem may be required.

Deaths abroad

A death that occurs outside of the United States must be registered under the laws of the nation in which it occurs. The death should also be notified to the British Consul, who may be able to assist in getting the death registered in the United Kingdom.

The expense of returning a body to the UK is high, however it may be covered by the person’s travel insurance. The tour operator should be able to assist with plans if the death occurred while on a package vacation.

Before a body can be buried in the UK, the Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages for the district where the funeral is to be held must be informed and must provide a certificate. If cremation is to be performed, the Home Office must also grant approval.

If the death was not caused by natural causes, the coroner for the district must be notified, and an inquest may be required.

Is it possible to obtain a copy of a death certificate in the United Kingdom?

Birth certificates are classified as “public records” in the United Kingdom, which means that anybody can request a duplicate certificate. The one exception is that for births that happened within the last 50 years, all data (including full date of birth and parents’ names, including the mother’s maiden name) must be provided. This is to safeguard against identity theft.

What bills must be paid following a person’s death?

If there isn’t enough money in the estate to pay off all of the deceased’s debts, they should be paid off in order of priority.

Except where a debt has been secured against a specific asset, such as a car loan or mortgage, funeral expenses normally take precedence over all other claims against an estate.

Then there’ll be the costs of the estate. These are the costs associated with the estate administration. Tax and Council Tax obligations are among the highest-priority debts. Last but not least, unsecured debts are paid. Credit card bills, store cards, and utility bills are examples.

When there is a chance that the estate will not have enough money to pay all of the payments, the estate administrator must pay creditors in the correct order or risk being held personally accountable if a creditor who should have been paid does not.

Contact our Farnham office on 01252 733770 or online to speak with one of our Probate solicitors.

This information is provided for informational purposes only and should not be used in place of seeking thorough legal counsel on specific facts and circumstances.

What happens to a person’s bank account if they die without a will?

Even if a person dies without leaving a will, the bank account will pass to the chosen beneficiary. It becomes more problematic if someone dies without a will or specifying a beneficiary.

The executor of the estate is in charge of all assets possessed by the dead, including money in bank accounts. If there is no will, the state appoints an executor depending on local law. The executor first pays any of the estate’s creditors with the monies in the account, then distributes the money according to local inheritance laws.

Is it true that credit card debt is forgiven after you die?

What happens after you pass away? Nobody knows for sure, but one thing is certain: you will no longer have to worry about paying your expenses. It’s a different story for your survivors. Will they be in charge of paying off your credit card debt? No, in the vast majority of cases. Any credit card debt you owe is usually paid off with assets from your estate when you die. Here’s a closer look at what happens to credit card debt after someone passes away, as well as what survivors should do to make sure it’s handled appropriately.

Is it possible to put a credit freeze on a deceased person’s account?

To obtain a credit freeze, you’ll need to contact each of the three credit bureaus separately. You can seek a freeze over the phone, then follow up with a letter requesting that your credit report be marked as “Deceased.” “Do not extend credit.”

When writing your request, be sure to provide the deceased person’s entire legal name, as well as their birth and death dates. You must also mention their most current address as well as their social security number. Finally, your name and mailing address must be included.

Request a return receipt for your records

If you’re sending your request via mail, make sure to seek a return receipt. This will give your letter an extra layer of protection and notify you when the request has been received.

Keep a duplicate of your request in case something goes wrong. Also, keep track of when you sent the request and when you received the response. If you need to send a follow-up request, this information will come in handy.

Make sure the account has been flagged

When the credit agency gets your request letter, the deceased’s record will be flagged as belonging to someone who has died. To prevent their information from being compromised, credit bureaus must flag the file of the individual who has passed away. Identity thieves frequently use the details of persons who have passed away to create new accounts.

Request a copy of the credit report

You can get an accurate picture of the condition of all of the deceased’s accounts if you have a copy of their most current credit report on file. There will be a report here if there are any outstanding accounts that need to be handled.

Check to see if the account has been flagged as well. You’ll need a copy of a government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, to request a copy of your credit report. Because not all lenders and creditors report to all three bureaus, you should request a copy from each of them to ensure you have all of the information you need.