Is There A Grace Period On Dte Electric Bill?

Customers who are having difficulty paying their account at a location where assistance is available should read more about DTE Energy Assistance. Please see our General Assistance, Low Income Plans, Shutoff Protection Plan, and Low Income Self-Sufficiency Plan pages for more information.

DTE extends a 60-day grace period to customers who are unable to pay their final debt by the due date before reporting any outstanding balance to credit reporting agencies. This gives clients time to either pay the entire account or work out a payment plan with one of our third-party collection agencies.

Is there a late fee with DTE?

We charge on a month-to-month basis. Bills must be paid 17 days after they are mailed. Please allow 5-7 days for postal service if you are mailing your money to ensure it arrives before the due date. If a balance is not paid in full by the due date, the account will be assessed a 2% late fee, and any and all meters associated to the account may be shut off.

Any extra DTE Energy program a client enrolls in, such as Home Protection Plus, is governed by the terms of that customer’s current contract. If the bill is not paid in full or according to the existing payment arrangement, the program(s) may be terminated.

If you’re having trouble fulfilling your financial responsibilities, we can help with a variety of things, including:

Is it possible to amend my DTE due date?

Select a month with a due date between 1 and 28 days (dates are subject to availability). You’re only allowed to change your due date once a year. The due date stated on your bill will never be earlier than this date once you’ve enrolled, but it could be up to 5 days later.

Your bill’s due date will change depending on when we read your meter. Your AMI meter gives us the ability to read it at any time, giving you the convenience of a flexible due date.

The updated date will appear on your first bill after you switch. Because the number of days in the billing cycle will be changed as you transition to your new date, your charge may be greater or lower than usual.

Is it possible for DTE to switch off the power during the winter?

A municipally owned electric company may shut off power after giving notice if a customer fails to comply with the terms of a winter protection payment plan. This is a unique law that governs municipally owned utilities.

What is the purpose of DTE’s shut-off protection plan?

Customers who qualify for our COVID Relief Payment Plan will be registered automatically. If you enroll, the plan will assist you in paying down your debt over time. It will also keep you from being disconnected once the shutoff moratorium expires on September 30, 2021, but only if you pay the plan payment amount plus your current costs on a monthly basis.

In Michigan, may utilities are turned off during Covid?

Due to the impact of the coronavirus epidemic, Michigan’s regulated utilities have decided to extend the shutoff safeguards, flexible payment plans, and other options they’ve offered to help clients struggling to pay power bills until mid-June.

What is the procedure for obtaining DTE credit?

Customers will receive a $25 credit if our review of your request reveals that you have encountered any of the following:

Is DTE and Consumers Energy the same company?

The Ludington Pumped Storage Power Plant near Ludington is likewise operated and co-owned by Consumers Energy and DTE Energy. The plant was built between 1969 and 1973 on a 1,000-acre site along Lake Michigan’s shoreline.

In Michigan, what months are you not allowed to have your electricity turned off?

  • Before turning off your power for nonpayment, your utility must send you a shut-off notice. It must also make an attempt to contact you by phone the day before the power is turned off.
  • If you or someone in your home has a serious medical condition and submit a signed document from your doctor, such as this one for DTE Energy or this one for Consumers Energy, you can defer a shut-off for up to three weeks.
  • Between November 1 and March 31, your power cannot be turned off if you are 65 or older. (People above the age of 62 are also covered by DTE.)
  • When utility technicians are unavailable to switch your power back on that day or the next, your electricity cannot be turned off.
  • In the event of severe weather, your utility will not be able to turn off your power. When the temperature is over 90 degrees, below 15 degrees, or the windchill is below 0 degrees, Consumers Energy suspends or cancels shut-offs. When forecasts drop below 15 degrees, windchill is below zero for at least two days in a row, or temperatures reach at least 90 degrees for at least two days in a row, DTE will not turn off the electricity.

The Michigan Public Service Commission accepts informal complaints online.

  • You can also reach us at (800) 292-9555. Except on holidays, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • You can also write to MPSC Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 30221, Lansing, MI 48909, with your concern.

Is it possible for an energy company to disconnect you?

If you contact your supplier and agree to repay your debt at a reasonable pace, whether through instalments, Fuel Direct, or a prepayment meter, you should be able to avoid being disconnected. Before your supply is interrupted, you must be asked if you want a prepayment meter and if it is safe to install one.

Landlord not paid the bill

Your landlord may cover the cost of your home’s gas and electricity. If your supplier is threatening to cut off your supply because the landlord has not paid the bill, contact your local council or the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. Through their local welfare aid scheme, your local municipality may be able to assist you in avoiding disconnection or restoring your energy supply.

Preventing disconnection winter months

Certain gas and electricity-related operations require a license, which is overseen by Ofgem. Licences contain terms and conditions that licensees must follow. During the winter months, which are October, November, December, January, February, and March, the license conditions protect specific groups of clients.

If you are a domestic client, Standard Licence Condition 27 specifies that your supplier shall not disconnect you during the winter months if you are:

If you are a domestic customer, Standard Licence Condition 27 additionally stipulates that your supplier must take all reasonable steps to prevent disconnecting you during the winter months if you are:

If your energy provider is threatening to disconnect your service and you belong to one of these groups, contact your energy provider right once. The Citizens Advice consumer helpline can also assist you. Details can be found in the section “Useful Contacts.”

Preventing disconnection Energy UK Vulnerability Commitment

The Energy UK Vulnerability Commitment provides further protection against disconnection for vulnerable consumers. If your provider has signed the Vulnerability Commitment, they will not disconnect you knowingly if:

  • if you have children under the age of six (or under the age of sixteen from October to March); or if you have children under the age of six (or under the age of sixteen from October to March); or if you have children under the age of
  • Due to your age, health, disability, or extreme financial insecurity, you are unable to protect your personal welfare or the personal welfare of other members of your household.

Check to check if your provider is a member of the Vulnerability Commitment, as not all do. Tell your supplier that you are vulnerable and need an inexpensive way to pay for your energy supply if you qualify for the Commitment’s protections. If you haven’t already, request to be included to the supplier’s Priority Services Register.

Time limits

  • If you don’t pay your energy bill within 28 days of the bill’s due date, your supplier may take action that could result in disconnection.
  • If you fail to pay an agreed-upon instalment, your provider can only take action after 28 working days have passed after the payment was missed.

Last resort

Gas and electricity suppliers are unable to turn off your service unless they have first provided you a variety of payment options. They can only turn off your power as a last option, and they must give you advance warning.

  • Electricity suppliers are required to give you seven working days’ notice in writing before disconnecting your power because you have not paid your bill.
  • Because you have not paid your payment, gas suppliers must give you seven days’ notice in writing before disconnecting your gas supply.

If your supplier threatens to disconnect your service, contact your local council and the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. Through their local welfare aid scheme, your local municipality may be able to assist you in avoiding disconnection or restoring your energy supply.

Consider contacting your local social services department for assistance with your energy payments if you have children. Inform your supplier that you have contacted social services, as they are required to hold off on cutting you off while social services investigates your case. They will normally postpone action for 14 working days, but may agree to extend the time limit. This may give you enough time to work out a payment plan. The Children Act 1989 empowers social agencies to offer payments to families with children in need in specific circumstances.

It’s critical that you negotiate a deal before your service is disconnected, because repaying your existing debt will be far less expensive than paying for reconnection.

Disputed debt

If you have a real disagreement with your energy or gas bill, your supplier should not cut off your service. If your energy company threatens to disconnect your supply, call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for assistance challenging your account. Details can be found in the Useful contacts section.

Old debt and new address

If you have moved, you cannot be disconnected for a gas or electricity account from an old address. However, unless you make arrangements to clear your debt with the same supplier, you may have difficulty getting an energy supply in your new house from them. For your new address, you may need to utilize a different supplier.

Entry into your home

If you do not reach an agreement to pay your debt, your supplier might get a warrant from the magistrates’ court, allowing them to enter your home and disconnect your energy connection. They will generally inform you of the date and time of the magistrates’ court hearing. If you want to stop the warrant, you should call a local advice organization to see if you may get assistance during the hearing.

Even now, before you or your agent go to court, you can contact your supplier and make an affordable repayment offer. If you must go to court, bring copies of your budget to present to the judge and your supplier as evidence of your offer. Take whatever evidence you want to offer as well. This could include details such as:

  • the impact a disconnect would have on your family, particularly youngsters, the elderly, and those who are unwell;

If you don’t have a lawyer, you can bring a buddy to court to represent you. Explain why you need them to speak for you before the magistrate, and request that your buddy be allowed to address the court directly on your behalf. The magistrate will decide whether or not to allow your friend to speak directly to the court. If the magistrate refuses to let your friend talk to them directly, they will normally let your friend speak quietly to you, take notes for you, and provide you advise.

If the court grants the warrant, your supplier must give you seven days’ notice (gas) or seven working days’ notice (electricity) before they can enter and disconnect your supply using the warrant. Your provider is more likely to offer to install a prepayment meter rather than disconnect your service. Consider whether Fuel Direct is a better alternative for you than a prepaid meter if you receive benefits. Make an offer you can afford, as stated in the previous section.