When driven or moved on a highway, every motor vehicle, trailer, semi trailer, pole trailer, and recreational vehicle must be titled and registered. All ATVs (since July 1, 1989) and UTVs (from December 28, 2010) must be titled but not registered.
In West Virginia, how can I get a title on my trailer?
APPLICATION FORMS REQUIRED: Form MV-1, application for a West Virginia certificate of title, and Form MV-1-TR, additional information required to title and register an assembled trailer or semi-trailer, all from the West Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
Is it true that trailers in West Virginia are titled?
When you buy a new trailer from a dealer in West Virginia or elsewhere, the dealer will provide you a document known as a manufacturer’s certificate or statement of origin. To title your new trailer, you’ll need the manufacturer’s certificate or statement of origin. When applying for title and registration, you must provide proof of the trailer’s purchase price. She can validate the purchase price on the bottom of Form DMV-1-TR, Title Application, if you bought your trailer from a West Virginia dealer. You must provide a copy of the dealer invoice if your dealer has not completed this certification form. If the car was purchased from a dealer outside of the state, the application must be accompanied with an invoice reflecting the purchase price.
Is it necessary to have utility trailers inspected in West Virginia?
Before they can be operated, all vehicles (including motorcycles), trailers, semi-trailers, and pole trailers registered in West Virginia or displaying a temporary registration plate or marker, or required to be registered in West Virginia, must be inspected and have a valid certificate of inspection affixed to them.
Is it necessary to get a bill of sale notarized in West Virginia?
THE SELLER AND THE BUYER MUST BOTH COMPLETE THE DOCUMENT, SIGN IT, AND HAVE IT NOTARIZED. UNTIL THE BUYER APPLICATES FOR AND RECEIVES A CERTIFICATE OF TITLE, THE OWNERSHIP STATUS OF THE VEHICLE, TRAILER, OR BOAT NAMED HEREIN WILL NOT CHANGE.
Is it necessary to have a West Virginia title notarized?
Follow these steps to legally finalize a West Virginia title after it has been sold:
TRANSFER OF OWNERTITLE FROM SELLER TO REGISTERED OWNERTITLE:
- If the front of the title has a lien, it must be fully released and notarized. If not, a notarized Lien Release Letter specifying the vehicle’s VIN number must be attached to the title.
- Fill up the upper portion of the back of the title under the heading ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE CERTIFICATE.
- In the first block, enter the price.
- Print the buyer’s name and complete address on the next line. DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY.
- In the space provided, enter the odometer reading (Not required if vehicle is 10 or more years old). EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER, enter your mileage. REMOVE FROM THE LIST “TENSIONS. Check the box that says “If the odometer does not represent the actual miles on the car,” if the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car “The mileage shown on the odometer is not the actual mileage. WARNING: DISCREPANCY IN THE ODOMETER.
- The seller must print his or her name(s) and sign on the available lines. ENSURE THAT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) ARE PRINTED EXACTLY AS THEY APPEAR ON THE FRONT OF THE TITLE. (DO NOT USE NICKNAMES OR SHORT NAMES!). If the title lists TWO registered owners, you must examine to see if there is an additional owner “OR there is nothing mentioned between the names of the registered owners. If there is a problem, “OR, utilizing the steps above, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name. Otherwise, BOTH registered owners’ signatures and printed names are necessary. Sign your name(s) as shown on the line to the left of the written name(s).
- In the box provided, type the date of sale.
- In the spaces given, the buyer(s) signs and prints their name(s).
In Virginia, how can I register a trailer without a title?
For trailers from outside the state that don’t have a title:
- Please submit the following documents: A registration card that hasn’t expired or hasn’t expired for more than a year. If one is available, a Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer.
- To finalize the transaction, go to your local DMV customer care location.
Is it possible to visit the WV DMV without making an appointment?
WALK-IN SERVICE AT THE REGIONAL OFFICE – This is the standard service at the Regional Office, where you can walk-in for any DMV business transaction. Customers are welcome to walk in, but are advised to use one of the other 6 methods to prevent huge lineups, wait periods, and the possibility of having to return.
In Virginia, how much does a permanent trailer tag cost?
Your vehicle registration fee, a late fee (if your registration has already expired), local registration fees for Virginia Beach residents, an emissions inspection fee (if applicable), and our agency fee (if you choose to renew through our site) are all fees that must be paid when renewing your registration. The following is a breakdown of the fees:
Fee for registering a vehicle:
- The cost of renewing your registration for a passenger vehicle weighing less than 4,000 pounds is $30.75. If your passenger car weighs between 4,000 and 6,500 pounds, the renewal fee is $35.75.
- Renewal rates for pickup trucks run from $35.75 to $44.75, depending on the vehicle’s weight (up to 10,000 pounds).
- Renewal fees for mopeds, autocycles, and motorcycles range from $18.25 to $24.75.
- Commercial and farm trucks, commercial buses, and non-commercial trailers all have their licenses renewed at a weight-based fee.
- The cost of renewing a commercial vehicle varies based on the vehicle’s weight and kind. Depending on their weight, private carriers pay anything from $53 to $1,348. Vehicles for rent and hire cost up to $1,889.50. Renewal fees for tow trucks range from $101.50 to $401.50. Renewal rates for rental passenger cars range from $30.35 to $104.15, while fees for common carrier and city buses range from $30.85 to $130.75.
If applicable, a late fee will be charged.
- If your decals have already passed their expiration date, you will be charged a $10 late fee when you renew them.
Fees for the local area (where applicable):
- If the car you’re renewing is garaged in a site that participates in the DMV’s Local Vehicle Registration Program, you may be charged a local registration fee. Residents in Virginia Beach are usually the only ones who have to pay this tax. The charge for a passenger vehicle ranges from $30.00 to $35.00. Motorcycles are charged $23.00. Local prices range from $7.50 to $25.50 to renew a trailer registration, depending on the trailer type. Local registration fees for larger commercial vehicles range from $24.00 to $85.00.
Inspection Fee for Emissions (where applicable):
- In several counties in Virginia, garaged automobiles are required to undergo emissions testing. If your car requires it, you will be charged $2.00 when renewing your registration.
Fee for a third-party agency:
- The fees indicated above will be defined according to your county and vehicle details on the renewal checkout page. Prior to payment, the total cost to you will be itemized for you.
- Please keep in mind that the costs you see connected with your vehicle on this website are an estimate based on the information you’ve given us (car type, vehicle location, etc. ), and the final amount charged to your card may differ somewhat once we’ve processed your transaction with the state.