Where To Change Address For My Water Bill?

Please go to the Water Bill Change of Address Form, download the form, fill it out, and save it if you want to change your address on your water bill.

Please go to the Water Department Form Submission Page, fill in the relevant fields, attach your change-of-address form, and click Submit to submit your form online.

Other ways to pay:

You can also pay by phone, mail, or in person at a payment center or an automated EZ Pay Station in addition to paying online.

  • In-Person Payments: City Hall, neighborhood locations, and automated EZ Pay stations are all available for in-person payments.
  • 1)City Hall is located at 121 N. LaSalle St., Room 107A, and is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • 2) The Central Hearing Facility is located at 400 W. Superior, 1st Floor, and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • 3) Neighborhood Payment Centers, which are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • 4) EZ Pay Machines
  • Payments made via mail should be addressed to the following address:
  • Utility Billing for the City of Chicago
  • 60680-6330 Chicago, IL

Forms of Payment

Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover are the major credit cards accepted by the city. The Visa or MasterCard logo is required on debit cards.

  • Electronic check or credit/debit cards are accepted online.
  • Electronic check or credit/debit cards are accepted over the phone.
  • Checks, cashier’s checks, and money orders are accepted via mail.
  • Check, cashier’s check, money order, credit/debit cards, or cash are accepted at the payment center.
  • Personal check, credit/debit cards, or cash are accepted at the EZ Pay Station.

Payment Plans

There are payment plans available if you are unable to pay your utility bill in full. You can enroll in a plan online, over the phone at 312.744.4426, or in person at any of the neighborhood payment centers at City Hall.

How do I update my Chicago address?

Do you need to rent a post office box or are you moving? To keep receiving mail, learn how to alter your address or rent a box at your local post office.

How to Change Your Address With the Postal Service

You have two alternatives for notifying the post office that you are changing your address and want your mail forwarded to your new address:

  • To change your address online, go to USPS.com/move.
  • This is the quickest and most convenient method, and you will receive an email confirmation of the change right away.
  • The cost of changing your address online is $1.10. A valid email address and a credit or debit card are required. The $1.10 charge on your card is an identity verification fee designed to prevent fraud and ensure that you are the one completing the transaction.
  • Request the Mover’s Guide pamphlet at your local post office.
  • PS Form 3575 is included in the bundle. Fill out this change of address form and hand it over to a postal worker at the counter. Alternatively, place it in the letter mail slot at the post office.
  • In five business days, you should get a confirmation letter at your new address.

How to Temporarily Change Your Mailing Address or Hold Your Mail at a Post Office

  • You can request a temporary change of address from your local post office. Learn about the timelines for a temporary address change.
  • Your local post office may be able to hold your mail for a limited time, such as when you are away on vacation. However, not all post offices provide this function.
  • To determine if your post office will hold mail and to schedule the free service, create or log into your USPS account and utilize this online form.
  • Get more information on Hold Mail Service.

How to Change or Cancel Your Request

You’ll need your confirmation number if you want to cancel or alter your change of address request. That number can be found on the letter or email you received when you first submitted the request. Your request can be seen, updated, or cancelled online.

How to Change Your Address With Other Government Agencies

When changing your address, you need also contact the following federal and state agencies:

  • Irs is the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) If you are awaiting a tax return or other mail, contact the IRS to update your address. You can also change your address with the IRS by filling out the proper boxes on your tax return when filing.
  • Administration for Social Security (SSA)
  • Using your my Social Security account, you can change your address online. If you receive Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability payments, this rule applies to you. If you’re registered in Medicare, you can also alter your address through your my Social Security account. Contact the SSA if you don’t get Social Security or Medicare benefits, or if you wish to update your address by phone or in person.
  • Veterans Affairs Department (VA)
  • If you are a veteran receiving benefits or need to update your records, contact the VA.
  • State Motor Vehicle Administrations
  • To update your address on your driver’s license or vehicle registration, contact your state.
  • State Election Commissions
  • To update your voter registration record, you may need to contact your state election office. View instructions on how to update your voter registration information.

What are the upcoming water and sewer rate increases?

Beginning June 1, 2016, and every year afterwards, the yearly water rates shall be raised upwardly, if applicable, by applying the preceding year’s rate of inflation, according to the Municipal Code of Chicago. This increase is based on the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Consumer Price Index – Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (Chicago All Items) for the 365-day period ending on the most recent January 1. However, any such annual rise must be limited to 105 percent of the preceding year’s rate.

Water and sewer rates rise in lockstep with the rate of inflation. These hikes are required to meet the ongoing costs of delivering safe, clean drinking water as well as eliminating waste water and storm runoff from Chicago’s streets. All of this is performed through a network of purification plants, tunnels, pumping stations, water mains, sewer mains, valves, and structures that need to be maintained on a regular basis. These services are required to meet the Environmental Protection Agency’s water quality criteria. Chicago’s rates for fresh, clean water will remain among the lowest in the country, at less than a cent a gallon.

How do I determine if I have a metered or non-metered account?

Your account type is indicated in the blue box next to the Bill Summary on your consolidated utility bill. It will say whether the account is non-metered, metered, or MeterSave.

How are non-metered accounts billed?

Non-metered accounts are for properties without a water meter to track usage. Non-metered accounts, unlike metered accounts, are charged a set fee depending on characteristics such as building size, lot size, and plumbing fixtures, according to the Municipal Code of Chicago. A breakdown of the computed charges particular to the property is presented on the reverse of non-metered utility bills. See Chapter 11-12-270 of the Chicago Municipal Code for more information on non-metered charges.

How are metered accounts billed?

The actual water usage measured by the water meter is used to bill metered accounts. Water usage is measured in gallons or cubic feet, depending on the type of water meter installed on your home. Metered accounts’ water charges are computed by multiplying the amount of water used by the water rate.

Depending on the property type, metered accounts are billed monthly or bi-weekly.

The Department of Water Management (DWM) is occasionally unable to obtain an accurate meter reading. You will be sent an approximate bill if this happens. When DWM is able to obtain an accurate meter reading, you will be sent a bill that accurately reflects your usage. Customers are encouraged to request the installation of an automatic meter reader to minimize estimated reads that may not accurately reflect real usage. For further information, contact the DWM at 312.747.2862.

Can I manage my utility billing account online?

For utility bills, we now have a new web gateway. The following are some of the useful online features:

  • Bills can be seen, printed, or downloaded.
  • Enroll in paperless billing to save the environment.
  • Check out your payment history and use.
  • Make an immediate payment.
  • Make a payment schedule.
  • Enroll in AutoPay.

You can pay your bills with automatic debits from your bank account using the AutoPay feature. You won’t have to remember to pay your bill if you use AutoPay. There are no service costs, and you will be notified via email before the automated deduction takes place.

What is the Water-Sewer Tax?

Water and sewer tax costs have been included on utility bills since March 2017. The money raised from this tax will be used to make certain pension payments that are required by law. All non-exempt Chicago companies and residents are subject to the tax, which is reported as a distinct line item on utility bills. The Water-Sewer Tax FAQ lists the specific tax rates for each year.

What is the Garbage Fee?

The garbage fee is assessed to all premises that receive waste collection from the City of Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation. See the Garbage Fee website for further details.

How do I dispute my utility bill?

We recommend paying online, over the phone, or in person at a City of Chicago Department of Finance Payment Center if you have received a notification of water service termination.

Payment plans are available if you are unable to pay your amount in full. More details can be found under utility bill payment plans.

How do I change the name on an account when a property has transferred or is going to be transferred?

Through the Full Payment Certificate Process, the owner’s name is changed. When real estate is transferred in the City of Chicago, the transferor must acquire a Full Payment Certificate (FPC) from the Chicago Department of Finance, as required by ordinance. The FPC application informs the Department of Finance that service should be transferred from the transferor’s name to the transferee’s name.

Please contact the Department of Finance/Utility Billing & Customer Service if you continue to receive invoices in the previous owner’s name. You can request a change by filling out the Change of Owner Name/Mailing Address Form. You may be needed to produce a copy of the deed and/or full payment certificate if Utility Billing & Customer Service does not have a record of the Full Payment Certificate from your closing.

How do I get a refund?

A Refund Application is available for download. Fill out the application completely and thoroughly. Make sure it’s entirely filled out and that you’ve attached all of the required supporting documents. Due to a lack of paperwork, an incomplete application will be declined.

Why am I receiving an estimated bill?

Meters are typically read every 30 to 60 days. The Department of Water Management is occasionally unable to obtain an accurate meter reading. This could happen if we are unable to receive an electronic signal from your meter or if access to the meter is restricted. You will be sent an approximate bill if this happens. When the Department of Water Management is able to obtain an accurate meter reading, you will be sent a bill that accurately reflects your usage.

Customers are encouraged to request the installation of an automatic meter reader to make it easier to collect accurate meter readings and assure accurate billing. For further information, contact the DWM at 312.747.2862.

I received a letter stating that my meter is running continuously, what does this mean?

This letter is being sent to you as a courtesy to alert you about the possibility of a water leak in or on your property. A meter that keeps running is a sign of a leak. It could also be the amount of water you use on a regular basis. This is something you should look into further.

By ordinance, the Department of Finance must bill and collect for all water usage recorded on your water meter. When water has been used, squandered, or lost due to leakage after registration, no account modifications or billing cancellation can be performed.

I received an Orange Notice of Water Service Termination what does this mean?

This implies that owing to non-payment, your water will be turned off as of the date on the notice. You must make payment or enter into a payment plan by the shut-off date on the notice to avoid water service termination.

I received a Yellow Notice of Water Service Termination what does this mean?

This implies that your water will be turned off as of the date on the notice because DWM has been denied access to the building’s water meter. To avoid having your water supply terminated, call DWM at 312.747.9090 to schedule a meter reading within 10 days of the notice’s date.

What should I do if my water has been shut-off for non-payment?

You must either pay your account in full or enroll in an eligible payment plan if you qualify.

Before your water service can be restored, you must sign a Release of Liability if your water has been turned off for more than 30 days.

NOTE: A $500.00 punishment will be imposed if your water is unlawfully restored. The Department of Water Management inspects properties on a regular basis to see if the water has been unlawfully restored.

Can a tenant have the water bill put in their name?

Although a property owner may request that water bills be delivered to a tenant’s name, this does not absolve the owner of the subject property of duty for unpaid utility expenses. To include the tenant’s name in the mailing address, please fill out a Change of Owner Name/Mailing Address Form.

Does filing bankruptcy relieve me of outstanding utility charges?

Your account will be updated to reflect that the bankruptcy was filed for the stated pre-petition charges after you have been notified. All new post-petition charges must be paid in whole and on time by you. We reserve the right to pursue collection actions, including the termination of your water service, if your current costs are not paid.

How do I remove my name from an account for a property lost in foreclosure?

The titleholder of record is responsible for all utility billing account charges up to the date of foreclosure, according to the Chicago Municipal Code. The borrower may still have certain rights to the property until a Foreclosure Deed is signed. The titleholder of record remains liable for utility billing obligations if the foreclosure is only pending (Lis Pendens) and not yet executed.

What is the average Chicago water bill?

Your household’s average water bill may differ significantly from the city’s average water bill in Chicago. However, we can provide you with an estimate to help you figure out your pricing.

The average person uses 100 gallons of water each day for indoor use, according to estimates. This includes showering, going to the bathroom, cooking, and doing the dishes.

In 2021, based on Chicago water rates, this would imply that a resident uses $0.41 worth of water each day. The monthly water cost would be $12.50 as a result.

Because the sewage rate is 100 percent of the water rate, your monthly water bill at this consumption would be roughly $25.

The higher your typical water bill is, the more people you live with. Despite higher water usage, you’ll see a cheaper cost per person if you have more roommates to assist you pay down the expenditures.

Keep in mind that this is just an estimate based on national averages and the water rate in Chicago.

In Chicago, how much do utilities cost each month?

Services and Utilities The average cost of utilities in Chicago is $132, which includes gas, electricity, water, and rubbish collection. Chicago’s utilities are around 7% less expensive than the rest of the country. In Chicago, home internet service adds around $68 to your monthly budget.

What is the procedure for changing my billing address?

There are four simple ways to update the billing address on your credit card:

  • Use the website or app provided by your credit card company. Change the billing address connected with your profile by logging into your online account.
  • Contact customer service. Request a billing address change by calling the number on the back of your credit card.
  • You can change your address by sending a letter. Fill up the back of the payment coupon that arrives with your monthly billing statement with your new address and return it to your credit card issuer.
  • In person, change your address. Some people may prefer to go to a branch in person if one is close. If you go this route, talk with a customer service person and have them alter your mailing address for you.

Why did the United States Postal Service charge me $40 to change my address?


In 2013, the USPS handled 38.8 million address changes. Customers can seek an address change by mailing or submitting a Change of Address order in person at any Post Office for free.

Customers are charged up to $40 to change their address on websites with domain names that look to be linked with the Postal Service but are not. In other cases, the change is never made. The Postal Service has no ties to the companies that run these websites.

Customers with complaints or information on similar frauds should go to www.postalinspectors.uspis.gov or call 1-877-876-2455 and press 3 to reach the Postal Inspection Service.

Please visit the USPS Newsroom for broadcast quality video and audio, photo stills, and other media tools.

This link is for reporters interested in speaking with regional Postal Service public relations personnel.

What documents are required to alter your address on your Illinois driver’s license?

If you’re going to Illinois from another state, will you need a new driver’s license?

As a formerly out-of-state resident, you must apply for an Illinois driver’s license in person at an Illinois Department of Driver Services office. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to alter your address with the Illinois DMV online or over the phone, so you’ll have to schedule a visit. While appointments are available for some Illinois DMV services, you cannot schedule an appointment to update your address or vehicle registration online ahead of time, so plan accordingly.

When you go to the Illinois DMV, you’ll need to bring the following documents:

  • Your driver’s license from another state
  • Written signature proof (accepted documents include your passport, U.S. military I.D. card, or signed credit card or debit card)
  • Proof of birth date (accepted documents include your U.S. birth certificate, citizenship certification, or naturalization certification)
  • Social Security Number Verification (accepted documents include your social security card, W-2 form, or U.S. military I.D. card)
  • Residency documentation (accepted documents include bank statement, utility bill, or pay stub at new address)

It’s worth noting that certain documents may meet more than one of these criteria. Check out the complete list of approved papers to make sure you have everything you need.

Yes. A new driver’s license in Illinois costs $30. To determine if you’re liable to any additional or alternative fees, go to the Illinois Secretary of State’s fees website.

No, as long as your out-of-state driver’s license is current or hasn’t expired in the last six months. However, you must pass a vision exam.

To update your vehicle’s registration, you’ll need to visit an Illinois Department of Driver Services location in person. Fill out and print your application in advance using the Illinois Electronic Registration and Title (ERT) System to save time.

You will also need to bring the following items, in addition to your completed application (which you can complete at the office if necessary):

  • Name and address verification
  • a title from another state or other proof of ownership
  • The reading on the odometer. It should be sufficient to take a snapshot of your vehicle’s real mileage.
  • Vehicle description (make, model, year, VIN, body type, purchase date, and whether the vehicle was purchased new or used)
  • Any car lienholders’ name and address
  • owner’s original signature(s) (s)

You’ll also need to provide your lease purchase agreement, proof of out-of-state car registration, out-of-state title, manufacturer’s certificate of origin, and bill of sale if your vehicle is leased.

Motor vehicles in Illinois must be registered for a charge of $101 for passenger vehicles and $41 for motorcyclists. There may be additional charges.